Learn more about Meridian Behavioral Healthcare's statement regarding opposition to injustice and discrimination
Novel coronavirus (COVID-19) information
Meridian Logo

Co-Responder Team

Home » Treatment & Service » Outreach & Prevention Services » Co-Responder Team

The Co-Responder Team consists of two full time employees; a CIT police officer and a  master’s level mental health clinician.

The team will partner together on a flexible 40-hour shift and will ride in marked police vehicle to respond to calls for service involving persons with mental illness, mental health crisis, as well as calls involving emotionally charged situations. The clinician for this project is funded by Meridian’s  Department of Children and Families (DCF) Managing Entity, Lutheran Services; the officer will be provided by the Gainesville Police Department (GPD).

70 percent of the team’s time is spent responding to calls in the community and conducting follow up visits to people engaged as they work calls. The other 30 percent of their time is dedicated to leading and facilitating high utilizer case staffing’s. The staffing’s include numerous multi-disciplinary community providers, who have agreed to collaborate on solutions for high volume users of justice and mental health care services working together creating innovative solutions.

The team also utilizes time within their shift to address issues at the 0-intercept point in the Sequential Intercept Model.  Intercept 0 on the Sequential Intercept Model focuses on designing mental health/law enforcement systems to connect individuals in need with treatment before a behavioral health crisis begins, at the earliest stage possible.

The Co-Responder Team is sponsored by Meridian Behavioral Healthcare, the City of Gainesville, LSF Health Systems LLC, and the State of Florida, Department of Children and Families.


24/7 Crisis Line

Local (North Central Florida):
(352) 374-5600
option 1
Toll Free:
1 (800) 330-5615