Preventing InjusticeThe Meridian Forensic Team is a multidisciplinary, multi-agency group of professionals whose primary goal is to prevent and divert potential participants from involvement with the criminal justice system, extensive incarcerations and/or commitment to forensic state hospitals. The team improves Community Mental Health based on the Sequential Intercept Model (SIM), utilizing outreach, intervention, and treatment services. The team also provides outreach, training, and collaboration with key stakeholders, including Law Enforcement agencies, Department of Corrections Probation and Parole, the Courts, attorneys and county governments.
Specialty Forensic CourtsThe team assists the courts and attorneys with criminal proceedings, providing Forensic Intervention Services and treatment for offenders in specialty courts:
- Columbia County Mental Health Court
- Alachua County Mental Health Court
- 8th Judicial Circuit Division V Felony Forensics Court
- Veteran’s Treatment Court
Mental Health VerdictsThe team monitors and provides treatment for offenders who have been deemed Incompetent to Proceed or Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity in the community and jails, diverting them from forensic state hospitals.
- Community Competency Training
- Jail Competency Training
- Conditional Release Monitoring
- Treatment Services
- Intervention Services
Comprehensive Offender Reentry Program (CORP)CORP provides treatment and wraparound re-entry support services to offenders who are re-entering the community from local jails with or without supervised probation from all counties in the 3rd and 8th Judicial Circuits. CORP offers treatment options for offenders at risk of re-offending or of deeper involvement in the criminal justice system due to mental health or addiction issues.
Forensic State Hospital CommitmentsThe team monitors progress at Forensic State Hospitals and Step Down units who meet criteria for hospitalization as determined by the courts. Team members develop Conditional Release Plans and monitor in the community, providing options for offenders to be discharged from state hospitals and step down units and return to the community earlier.
Forensic TreatmentTreatment Services help individuals with mental health, substance abuse, or co-occurring disorders attain sufficient stability of lifestyle and successful involvement with lesser intensive community programs or self-sufficiency based on individually designed interventions and clinical skill building. Forensic treatment benefits the individuals served by increasing their quality of life by providing:
- Intensive case management
- Psychiatric services (if needed)
- Peer mentoring
- Mental health and substance abuse treatment (individual, group and/or both)
- Symptoms of mental illness
- Addiction issues
- Manifestations of personality disorders
- Trauma history
- Maladaptive social learning
Forensic Intervention ServicesThe Team works closely with attorneys, probation officers, and consumers to provide needed services:
- In jail assessment and case planning
- Housing, employment, transportation, and medication assistance
- Residential and Outpatient Substance Abuse/ Mental Health treatment
- Medication Assisted Treatment
- Case management of clients while in jail and community.